Why Technology is at the Heart of Every Business
There are very few businesses that can exist today without technology. From local stores using computerized sales systems to the supercomputers that help run our national defense, technology is everywhere! Here are 5 reasons technology is at the heart of every business:
1. Efficiency: What was once done with paper and pencil and entered into ledgers manually is now accomplished much more quickly and efficiently through computer software. Data can be entered, tracked, and analyzed all through programs designed specifically for your business. It also cuts down on the cost of storage and transport, since everything can now be stored and shared as digital files. Whether you work in business, healthcare, or IT, there is technology that can make your job go faster and easier.
2. Organization: Computers allow you to store all your files in one digital central location and track a wide range of information: from your clients, to product, to personnel. There are: Customer relations management systems (CRMs) that track your contact with a customer. Programs that keep track of ordering, pricing, storing, tracking, and selling inventory. Human-resource software that helps you manage and pay your workforce. Accounting programs for tracking and measuring the financial health of your business. Health information management systems that keep track of patients and their care. Whatever business you’re in, technology can help you keep it organized.
“If you want to be competitive in the modern workforce, you need to be familiar with the technology that is vital in your field.”
3. Accuracy: Technology is vital to accuracy in today’s fast-paced world. In business, technology tracks nearly every financial transaction conducted, but in healthcare it saves lives! The electronic medical records that follow patients wherever they’re treated can tell doctors and nurses what treatments patients have already received and detect potentially deadly drug interactions.
4. Security: With so much of our day-to-day interactions conducted over the internet or network systems, it is easier than ever for those with criminal intent to have access to large caches of sensitive information unless the proper security measures are in place. Cybersecurity is key to keeping information, money, and people safe from cyber-crimes.
5. Communication: Email, instant messages, and texts help keep you and the people you work with informed and connected. When the lines of communication are open and easy to access, every business can run more smoothly. Whether you send an email to confirm court dates as a paralegal or shoot out a quick text about a business meeting, technology helps you communicate quickly.
At American National University, we don’t just teach technology in our IT programs and courses – we integrate technology into all of our programs, including our business and healthcare degrees. That’s because we know that if you want to be competitive in the modern workforce, you need to be familiar with the technology that is vital in your field. Contact us today to learn about all the in-demand skills we can teach you.
Click here to view all story archives »
If you would rather speak with a representative over the phone, call 888.956.2732.
More LifeNotes Articles
One set of skills often overlooked are "soft skills." In ANU's training you will learn about soft skills and are given a chance to practice them. read more >>
In many professions, industry-standard certifications serve an important role in validating whether an education actually meets the real-world demands of a specific occupation. One of these certifications is the Certified Bookkeeper (CB). read more >>
Looking for a college education, but also in a hurry to get into the workforce? Here's an infographic about three healthcare careers you can train for in less than 2 years! read more >>
eLearning programs in business, healthcare, and information technology are accessible and attainable. read more >>
Whether you take courses in person or online, you'll need to dedicate adequate time outside of your program to complete assignments and prepare for exams. read more >>
Digital fluency can give you a wealth of knowledge and the competitive edge in the job market. read more >>
According to the PMI Project Management Salary Survey, employees who have Project Management Professional certification earn more than their peers who do not. Could more earning potential change your life? read more >>
Each degree that you obtain can help give you the knowledge and credentials you need to move forward in your career and advance your goals. Read about these three steps that could help you earn your next educational degree: read more >>
Did you know about all the ways you can save money on your education through Financial Aid / FAFSA options? Check out American National University's “How-to Guide to Financial Aid” infographic to discover ways that you could save on your education and afford the start to your new future. read more >>
You have career training, natural abilities, and a great attitude. Now it’s time to find a job that will match your skills and enthusiasm. But how are you going to ace the interview to get the job? With practice! Mock interviews are essential tools in your job interview preparation. Here’s why: read more >>
Digital media touches virtually every business and industry today. If you use a computer, listen to music on your iPhone, read an e-mail on your tablet, or like, tweet, and share on social media, you're engaging with digital media. It's everywhere! And so are careers in digital media.
But how could YOU get started in a digital media career? read more >>
If you want to build a new career, it's never too early to start building your network. Even if you are still in school, learning the skills of your new profession, it's time to start networking. Here are 5 steps you can take right now to get started: read more >>
As a Medical Office Specialist, you’d work in places like physicians’ offices, hospitals, clinics, nursing homes, and rehabilitation centers. You would be an important member of a healthcare team and have lots of direct patient interaction. In fact, you’d probably be the very first person a patient saw as they entered your facility. But do you have what it takes to be a good medical office specialist? Here are some of the traits you’ll need: read more >>
Did you know that almost three quarters of students today are considered "non-traditional"? At American National University, we know that the same factors that make you a "non-traditional" college student also mean you've probably had some life experiences. And we'd like to make sure you get credit for them!
Here are 3 ways we'll give you credit. read more >>
It's not just about a great education; it's also about what you do with it. If you want a successful career, your education is a big part of the equation that will help you achieve results, but it isn't the only thing that you'll need to set up a successful career. You also need to present your abilities and credentials in the best possible light and to connect to all the resources available to you. At American National University, we'll train you with the skills you need for your career, and then our Career Services will help you market your skills out in the real world. read more >>
Juggling work, family, and education can be a challenge. At American National University, we understand that - after all, we've been providing career-oriented education to men and women for 130 years. read more >>
Learning is a life-long endeavor - whether you're pursuing your degree or learning from experiences on the job, you'll encounter a variety of technologies and methods that add to your practical and technical knowledge. American National University offers interactive learning formats throughout our programs. Not only do we train you in the knowledge and techniques you'll need to be successful in your future career, but we give you the experience you need to be life-long learners. We also offer classes on campus (day and evening courses) or online, so you can fit an education into your busy life.
When it comes to achieving your degree, learn in ways that prepare you for your future career! read more >>
Due to the rapid growth and global use of technology and computers, nearly 500,000 new jobs will be added to the IT field in the United States alone, growing the field to a total of 4 million occupations in the USA over the next ten years.1 If you want a rewarding career with plenty of opportunity for professional growth, start building your skillset right now. There is no better way to do that in IT than through academic programs that prepare you for key certifications. read more >>
Whether you work for a company or plan to build your own business, your knowledge, and understanding of these 8 fundamental principles of business can help you find success. read more >>
More than 50 million surgeries are performed each year and the professionals who staff the operating room must be well-trained, knowledgeable and committed.1 Surgical Technologists are important members of those surgical teams. If you're interested in an exciting career in healthcare, surgical technology is a growing field with a lot of opportunity.
Here is just some of what you will do as a surgical technologist on a typical day in the OR: read more >>