Parkersburg Campus (College in Parkersburg)
Main Campus: 1813 E. Main St., Salem, VA 24153 · 540-986-1800
American National University (ANU) is accredited by the Distance Education Accrediting Commission (DEAC) and offers state-of-the-art degrees and diplomas in medical, business, and technology fields such as:
Diplomas & Certificates
Associate's Degree Programs
Baccalaureate Degree Programs
Will I be able to fit classes into my busy life?
Our curricula are geared for students with busy work and family lives, who are looking to get started in a new career or advance in their current line of work. With your busy schedule in mind, ANU offers:
- Online, on-campus, or blended degree programs: that allow you to take classes on your time in a format that fits you
- Video conferencing options: which allows us to offer you classes without delaying your schedule and connects you to students across campuses and states
- Day and evening on-campus classes1: To fit your scheduling needs
- Each on-campus class held once a week: Leaving you with more time open for work and family
- Frequent term starts with short breaks in between: so you can finish your degree quickly and retain the information you’ve learned
- Short programs: Designed to equip you with a degree and get you started on your career without wasting your time
Will I be able to afford it?
Our professional financial planners can craft a plan to make college a reality for you. We understand that each student has unique circumstances and questions, which is why each student meets personally with a student service representative to identify available sources of financial assistance. Several financial aid/FAFSA options are available to students who qualify including:
- ANU Funded Grants & Scholarships
- Federal Financial (FAFSA) Assistance
- Private Grants and Scholarships
What if I need help?
American National University has a family-like campus atmosphere with all the resources of a large university. From small classes, to a team of staff and faculty dedicated to helping you succeed, you’ll find you will fit right into the ANU Parkersburg community.
- Personalized attention: receive one-on-one attention from teachers and staff members who know you by name
- Hands on learning with career professionals as instructors: Rather than just relying upon theoretical book learning, ANU offers instruction that gives you practical experience in your field, taught by people who have experience in your future field
- Career Services: Even before you graduate, our career services team can help you prepare your resume, cover letters, interviewing techniques, and offer support in your search for your future career opportunities
- Alumni Benefits: Our support doesn’t end at graduation, as an alumnus you will have access to our career services and refresher2 courses available throughout your career.
Come in for a tour of your future classrooms and meet your future teachers, staff members, and fellow-students today!
Where Are You Located?
Our campuses are easy to get to, offer ample parking, and with our eLearning options you may even be able to take classes from home.
Directions to the Parkersburg WV location:
From the northwest (Belpre, OH): Take OH-7 across the Memorial Bridge into Parkersburg, then turn left at Murdoch Avenue. Make a left at Park Shopping Center and American National University will be on the right.
From the southwest (Blennerhasset/Lubeck WV): Follow US 50/WV-68 toward Nemesis Park. At the US 50/WV-68 split, stay on WV-68 (County Route 9) into Parkersburg. Turn left at Old US 50 (8th Street), continuing on to Murdoch Avenue. After approximately 1-¼ miles turn left at Park Shopping Center. American National University will be on the right.
From I-77: Take Exit 179 (Emerson Avenue Exit) towards Parkersburg. Follow Emerson Avenue to Murdoch Avenue and turn right (next to Verizon wireless) . Make a left onto Park Shopping Center Drive and follow to American National University on the right.
The key to our success is a faculty of Professional Instructors with Industry Experience. Drawing on personal insights, our instructors provide students with a real-world perspective to prepare them for success in well-defined fields of employment.
At American National University we emphasize individual attention for our students, from enrollment to graduation with frequent and helpful faculty interaction every step of the way. Our class sizes are smaller, with an average of 15:1 student-to-faculty ratio, allowing for one-on-one interaction with instructors.
Our Faculty at a Glance
Jennifer Johnston Crow has worked in the communications field for more than 30 years, and is currently a writer/editor with the federal government. She has communications experience in print journalism and in public relations in higher education as well as state government. Jennifer holds a master of science degree in journalism from West Virginia University and bachelor's degrees in English and history from West Virginia Wesleyan College. Her writing has won firsts, seconds, thirds, and honorable mentions from the National Press Women Association, the West Virginia Press Women Association, and West Virginia Writers, Inc. At ANU, she teaches English composition.
Debra Cunningham is an instructor at ANU's Parkersburg Campus. She is a certified business coach and consultant, providing strategic guidance for business owners and is the President and CEO of Evergreen Business Strategies. Debbie holds a Master of Business Administration degree from West Virginia University and a Bachelor of Arts degree in Business with concentration in marketing & advertising from Glenville State College. She has 17 years of experience in medical staff recruiting and served as Vice President of a hospital, supporting a family medicine residency program. She organized and established two different Physician Hospital Organizations and was Executive Director of each. Her expertise includes medical staff credentialing, physician practice management, financial turn-a-rounds, managed care contracting, provider network development, provider network credentialing including NCQA and URAC standards, JCAHO and AOA compliance, Medicare, Medicaid, HIPAA and Corporate compliance.
Director of Health Care Education
Leah Lane is the Director of Health Care Education at ANU's Parkersburg Campus. After graduating from Gordon College of Nursing with an associate degree in nursing, she actively practiced nursing in the state of Georgia as a Registerd Nurse for 17 years. She previously served as the Medical Compliance Administrator at Albany Advocacy Resource Center in Albany, Georgia.
BHCS, AS, RHIT, CCS, CCS-P, CPC, CPC-H CHA, FCS, PCS
Deidre Michael has worked in the health information management field for more than 25 years, specializing in coding/billing, and is presently a coding consultant for a company based Boston. Deidre received her bachelor's degree in Health Care Services from University of Phoenix and her associate degree in Health Information from Hocking College. She is a Registered Health Information Technician and a Certified Coder and Auditor. She teaches medical coding and health information management courses at the Parkersburg Campus.
Department Chair - Business Management & Accounting
BA; MA; GCAH
Dody Waggoner has been an instructor for over 15 years and has taught a variety of courses. She also has experience as a small business owner. Dody holds a Bachelor of Arts degree in economics, a Master of Arts degree in liberal learning, and a graduate certificate in American history. She is an instructor at the ANU Parkersburg Campus and also serves as department chair of the business and accounting programs.
Career Services and Employer Partnerships
At American National University, the success of our students is always priority number one.
American National University knows that transitioning from being a student to becoming a working professional requires more than just a good education. At ANU, the process of helping you find great career opportunities begins long before you enter our doors. The academic leaders at ANU work with local employers to ensure that our programs align with careers of today and the future.
We will assist you with creating goals and exploring career options. No matter where you are in your career, you will always have access to the full range of services. Here are a few of the many services we offer:
- Mock interviews
- Business etiquette training
- DVD, books, and magazines on conducting your job search
- Coaching on dressing for success
- Assistance with writing resumes and cover letters
- Tips on researching potential employers
- Access to current local job openings
» Highlight on Local Employers
“I love sending students there because they learn and they’re trained well.”