Medical Office Assistant Diploma
Keeping the Front Office Healthy and the Patients Happy
Medical office assistants work in physician offices, hospitals, clinics, nursing homes, and other healthcare settings. They are responsible for a variety of administrative and patient care tasks that include greeting patients and visitors, to scheduling routine lab work and testing procedures.
If you enjoy working with people, have good organizational skills and are interested in a career in the medical field, a medical office assistant diploma program¹ at American National University may be right for you.
Through a blended curriculum of classroom instruction and hands-on training you will receive an in-depth education designed to prepare you for an entry-level position as a medical office assistant.
You'll work directly with dedicated faculty who are experienced career professionals themselves. In small classes, you’ll have the chance to ask questions and get to know your classmates and future colleagues.
In addition to serving as a strong foundation for pursuing an associate’s degree in medical assisting, this diploma program is designed to give you the skills and techniques needed for entry-level employment as a medical receptionist, medical secretary, or patient coordinator.
Also view our Business Administration Accounting – Associate’s Degree.
Your Learning Experience
American National University’s medical office assistant diploma program helps you develop the skills you need to work in a medical office environment.
- Through a unique blend of classroom instruction and hands-on lab training, you will learn computer skills, office procedures, medical terminology, and a foundation in healthcare law and financial practices specific to the medical office setting.
- In the administrative capacity you will be prepared to update and file patients’ medical records, fill out insurance forms, schedule appointments and laboratory procedures, and handle office correspondence.
- The medical office assistant program also emphasizes professional qualities such as communications skills, self-confidence, and ethical responsibility.
American National University promotes a progressive learning format, so as you earn your diploma in medical office assistant, you can immediately use your training to advance your career as you continue your education in high demand fields at the associate’s and bachelor’s degree levels – areas such as medical assisting, office technology and health care management.
1 While widely available, not all courses are available at all class times or offered every term. Check with a University Student Services representative.
Heather Lynch loves her new job with Southwest Virginia Community Health System - a job she got as a result of her externship in the medical assisting degree program at the Bristol Campus.
» Read article
Why American National University?
- Convenience and flexibility – With day and evening classes¹ you have the flexibility to work as you earn your degree.
- Personal attention – You’re not just a face in a crowd, our small class sizes allow for personal attention from instructors.
- Career professionals as instructors – With current and relevant curricula, you will learn from instructors with real-world field experience who will guide and mentor you.
- Career services – Our career services team starts to help you before you graduate with your resume, cover letters, interviewing techniques and how to search for great career opportunities.
- Alumni benefits – Our support doesn’t end at graduation, as an alumnus you will have access to our career services and refresher² courses available throughout your career.
¹While widely available, not all courses are available at all class times or offered every term. Check with a University Student Services representative.
²Refresher training is tuition-free for qualified students. Additional costs such as lab fees, books and supplies are the responsibilities of the student. Retraining is limited to the program from which the student graduated and is subject to space available.