Pharmacy Technician Associate’s Degree
» Pharmacy Tech Diploma program
Being on the Rx Side of Healthcare
If you’re looking for a pharmacist school that’s a perfect fit for you, this associate’s degree is designed to provide you with knowledge, laboratory skills, and field experience so that you can assist pharmacists in providing medication and other healthcare products to patients. Students will gain an understanding of medical and pharmaceutical technology, pharmacology, pharmacy record keeping, pharmaceutical techniques, and pharmacy law and ethics. In addition, a 120 hour externship placement is required so students receive hands-on experience in a pharmacy practice site.
Students completing the program are prepared to sit for the Certified Pharmacy Technical (CPhT) exam offered by the Pharmacy Technician Certification Board (PTCB).
As a student in this degree program, you will:
- Develop a foundation in understanding drugs and their applications.
- Gain hands-on experience utilizing proper techniques for mixing and dispensing medications.
- Learn how to assist the pharmacist in prescription preparation and administration.
- Learn the basics for updating patient profiles, labeling pharmaceutical products, managing inventory, and recognizing trade and generic drug names.
- Learn how to maintain patient records and prepare insurance claims.
*All students wishing to enroll in the Pharmacy Technician program will be required to pass a background check prior to the start of the program.
Your Learning Experience
Pharmacy Systems of Operations
Learn the operational fundamentals to include pharmacy laws, standards, and ethics for being a pharmacy tech.
Dosage and Calculations of Medications
Learn how to accurately calculate dosages and properly interpret medication labels.
Introduction of Pharmacology
Learn the basics and issues important in today’s health care settings including legal foundations, over-the-counter and alternative medications, principles of drug action, lifespan aspects of drug therapies, and substance abuse and misuse.
Program Core Courses
- Pharmacy Systems of Operation
- Dosage and Calculations of Medications
- Advanced Pharmacy Calculations
- Pharmacy Practices
- Health Care Law and Ethics
- Terminology of Body Systems and Support
- Diseases of the Human Body
See also our Pharmacy Tech Diploma program.
1 While widely available, not all courses are available at all class times or offered every term. Check with a University Student Services representative.
Why American National University?
- Convenience and flexibility – With day and evening classes¹ you have the flexibility to work as you earn your degree.
- Personal attention – You’re not just a face in a crowd, our small class sizes allow for personal attention from instructors.
- Career professionals as instructors – With current and relevant curricula, you will learn from instructors with real-world field experience who will guide and mentor you.
- Career services – Our career services team starts to help you before you graduate with your resume, cover letters, interviewing techniques and how to search for great career opportunities.
- Alumni benefits – Our support doesn’t end at graduation, as an alumnus you will have access to our career services and refresher² courses available throughout your career.
¹While widely available, not all courses are available at all class times or offered every term. Check with a University Student Services representative.
²Refresher training is tuition-free for qualified students. Additional costs such as lab fees, books and supplies are the responsibilities of the student. Retraining is limited to the program from which the student graduated and is subject to space available.
If you would rather speak with a representative over the phone, call 888.956.2732.
Cost & Disclosure Information: